Saturday, January 29, 2011

Blogging: My Passive Aggressive Way Of Addressing Issues Near And Dear To My Heart

I've never really understood why people hate Valentines Day so much. How can one day be such a sad/bitter day for some people?

I think that there was (probably) a time back in middle school when I felt lonely or sad on Valentines Day. But since then, I've become superhuman and no longer feel such paltry emotions like the rest of the pathetic human race. Kidding. Kind of. I mean, it's not that I purposely try not to "buy into" the whole Valentines Day thing. I neither love it nor hate it. I'm just kind of apathetic about it. If you have someone "special" in your life, great. Spend the day letting the person know that you care about them. If you don't have someone in your life right then...first of all, chill out. Second, why not let someone else in your life know that they are cared about, instead of groveling in your sea of self pity, all day long?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the extremes that people feel about Valentines Day. I suppose I can understand feeling lonely if you have just ended a relationship, and now Valentines Day is reminding you that you don't have the person that you genuinely cared about, to share the day with. Really, I do understand the normal range of human emotions (I haven't completely shut them off yet). It is just these crazy extremists who either feel that Valentines Day is the spawn Satan or the most joyous day of the year. 

Unfortunately, I can already see the ever lovely Facebook news feed on February 14th, clogged up with ridiculous cries for help from my more...emotionally unstable...single friends. Those types of statuses will probably get two "likes" from fellow emotionally unstable girls, and perhaps a few comments saying, "Aw, sorry baby. Text me if you want 2 talk." (Except that they won't use any punctuation or capitalization in their comment.) And I can also see all the status updates from my "I am Woman, hear me roar" friends, touting the reasons why singleness is such a gift and how men can't complete us. Those statuses will probably receive 20 "likes" and more than a few comments saying things such as, "Oh, so true girlfriend! Way to be. We are so okay on our own!"

Come on people, rise above. It's just a day. We're all adults here, (okay..so that might not necessarily be true). But let's try to act like it at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
This blog is basically how I de-stress from 1.) all the awkwardness I encounter and cause on a daily basis and 2.) life in general. You know all of those little situations and bumps in the road that you don't give a second that about? (No, you don't know, because you didn't give them a second thought.) Well, those kinds of situations tend to create existential dilemmas in my soul. So at some point I will probably give you too much in depth information on my emotional, spiritual, and mental health, because some self-absorbed part of me thinks you really want to know.

Followers