Saturday, May 14, 2011

Don't Question My Priorities

(Disclaimer) I promise, despite all appearances, I do have my priorities in order. Maybe.

Once you live on your own, you are faced with a series of choices--mostly at the supermarket.
For example, will you choose to buy a brownie mix or paper towels? A (17oz "family size") container of sabra hummus (oh baby) or laundry soap? Will you spend $12 on a jar of Justin's almond butter, or replace your dog chewed shoes?

Decisions decisions. Confessions confessions...
Well, I decided I could make my laundry soap last another week (sabra hummus, come to mama). I also bought the brownie mix (and I may or may not have "borrowed" a roll of paper towels from my parent's house...)

But you see, in order to make my brownies, I needed two eggs. However, I don't normally eat eggs, so I was not about to spend a whole $1.75 on a dozen eggs when I could, again, borrow a couple from my mom. (I promise, I asked my mom about the eggs!) So today after retrieving the eggs, I set about to make my brownies. Then I realized that I didn't have oil. (The week before I had probably decided to buy organic spinach instead of investing in a staple, like oil.) Okay fine, I probably actually bought dark chocolate, not organic spinach.

So what do you do when you don't have oil? You start looking for substitutes. First I searched the fridge for apple sauce. No luck. Yogurt? None. I did have a few bananas and I thought I remembered reading somewhere about using them in place of oil...but I didn't want banana flavored brownies. I considered using maple syrup...but quickly decided against it. Then it hit me. Um, freaking peanut butter! It has almost the same amount of fat per tablespoon as oil/butter. (And let me tell you, peanut butter is always a priority on my shopping list.)

So yes, I melted the peanut butter and used it in place of the oil. And my brownies look normal. I haven't actually eaten one yet...but I am pretty sure they are going to taste like...pure brilliance and awesomeness. I am also pretty sure that I am probably not the first person to sub in peanut butter for oil in brownies, but I'm not going to lie...I feel pretty smart.

Please, don't question how I prioritize my shopping list. Just so you know, my brownie mix was on sale for 75 cents, because it was a "holiday edition" with red and green sprinkle things. Furthermore, I did choose to replace my dog chewed shoes and forgo Justin's $12 almond butter. So take that you judgy judger.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
This blog is basically how I de-stress from 1.) all the awkwardness I encounter and cause on a daily basis and 2.) life in general. You know all of those little situations and bumps in the road that you don't give a second that about? (No, you don't know, because you didn't give them a second thought.) Well, those kinds of situations tend to create existential dilemmas in my soul. So at some point I will probably give you too much in depth information on my emotional, spiritual, and mental health, because some self-absorbed part of me thinks you really want to know.

Followers